Squash seeds are a delicious and healthy snack. Not only are they abundant (assuming you grow squash), they are easy and quick to prepare. Here’s our tips for how to prepare and roast the seeds:
1. Remove seeds from the flesh and rinse seeds in a colander until they are free of excess plant material
2. Air dry or use paper towels until dry
3. Optional: Coat with olive oil and herbs/seasonings of your choice. Only use enough oil to barely coat the seeds
4. Spread thinly on a baking sheet and roast at 250F for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes
5. Wait until seeds turn light brown and toasty.
6. Cool and store in an airtight container
Some of our favourite seasonings include cayenne/cinnamon and garlic/basil. What kind of seasoning do you use?
Cover Image by Miriam Kato, used under its Creative Commons license.